BookishBrina

Bookish Brina

Just a girl with an obsession...

Not specific to one genre, I'll read YA, Romance, Mystery, Fantasy, etc.  I also love Twilight fanfic!

Forks Over Knives

Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health - Gene Stone, T. Colin Campbell, Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr.

Forks Over Knives is a book with a great message. We're literally making ourselves sick by eating a traditional western diet. Our foods are fatty and filled with all types of chemicals. This is the main focus of this book, although there is mention of the ecological dangers and animal cruelty involved with factory farms, where over 75% of our meat comes from.

I believe Forks Over Knives, however, is basically a companion to the movie, which I haven't seen.  The info is very basic and is nothing I haven't read before. I'm not sure it is persuasive enough for a meat eater to consider a plant based diet. Then again, I think that is what the movie is for.   Most of the recipes require a lot of ingredients and prep work; I know that following this type of diet requires more planning but again may scare away a beginner.

If this book had been the first I had read on the subject, I'm not sure it would have been enough inspiration for me to change my eating habits. Fortunately, I found Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet over four years ago. It truly changed my life.